Friday, December 08, 2006

Are You Samoan?



Talia dressed for her school's Christmas performance

I hate going to the hairdressers (surprising since I have short hair) and since arriving here it's been a trial and error process (mostly error so far) trying to find someone who can cut my hair the way I want it. Today the hairdresser wanted to give me something LA or was it NY style? It turned out to be assymetrical kaka styles. Even she had to convince herself it was a good style, she kept telling me 'oh it looks so good on you' over and over again, hoping I'd put my glasses on when I paid at the counter. The most interesting thing she had to tell me was that I wasn't very Samoan having short hair and that the only other woman she knew who had a haircut like me (que wasn't she the one giving the haircut?) was a woman who worked at Social Security, and she was a palagi. I told her quite confidently that I was Samoan in my heart and not in my hair. So there will be no picstures of me for a little while.

I had to go the hospital for something... okay it was contraception. I told the woman at the counter thats what I was here for and she gave me a form and you had to declare if you were married, which I clearly had stated. Never the less she still asks me if I was married, I was surprised she didn't ask for a note from my Mother! What next? When I finally got to see the Dr she gave me a list of questions...I should just continue on with abstinence.

Talia's school had their Christmas performance today she sang 'Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer' and 'Manuia le Kirisimasi - I wish you a Merry Christmas' and danced to a song by the chipmunks. Unfortunately the video is not great due to Noah's whining - I don't blame him he suffered a Mushroom haircut from the said hairdresser. It'll grow Noah - you won't have to wear the bag for long.



Jason has been busy at the gym, he's up at 5.20am 3 times a week and goes during the day in between. He's trying paddling and has been out 3 nights this week. Go Jason Go.

The anniversary dinner was nice, we didn't go to Checkers (the other fastfood outlet) but instead went to a diner and had Crayfish with the kids.

Talia has dance practise tomorrow she is learning a Samoan siva - hopefully we'll get a better video of that.



No comments: