Jason vs Vaitogi
Yesterday Jason and the Murphy boys (Philip and Paul) planned to go cliff jumping into the sea. They left at about 1.30pm with the destination unknown to me. Around 5pm Jason was still not home, which was strange because he was cooking dinner.
Just after 5pm I got a phone call from a friend who told me she was out at Vaitogi and someone had mentioned to her that a European guy had been swept out to sea and was not found, and the European guy's description was of Jason. My heart was racing and I had to call someone to get confirmation. Just as I was about to pick up the phone Philip called, he had some good news and bad news, Jason was scratched up and had a cut on his head and chin and that they'd be another hour at LBJ hospital. Thinking it was just a cut and graze I thought I'd go ahead and make dinner. But I had another re-think and decided I had better go because Jason didn't have a green-card (needed for hospital visits) and I had his ID card, so I asked a friend Vivien if she could look after the kids while I went to the hospital.
When I got to the hospital Philip and Paul were still in their wet swimming clothes and looked a little worse for wear themselves but on the whole unscathed. They had kids and a babysitter to tend to so they went home and in passing told the security guard on duty to make sure I didn't beat Jason up (I was tempted).
I got to ER and Jason was away at X-ray but when he returned he looked quite a mess.
He was lucid and feeling a little nauseous for lying flat on his back and having a stomach full of sea water. But was well enough to explain what happened...
So they'd gone to Vaitogi (15 mins up the road from us) and the sea looked rough, Philip went searching to find a calm spot to hop into when he hopped in the water he wasn't able to make it back to where they were so Jason told him to swim around and find another spot to get back on land.
Paul in the meanwhile couldn't see where Philip had gone or where Jason was on the rocks so jumped in too. Jason was still on land and seeing Paul in the water went to get the rope to help Paul back up, which he manages to do. In the process of him helping Paul, a wave came crashing over Jason and sweeps him down the rocks and into the sea. Paul ran over to see where Jason was and can't see him in the water, when Jason pops up out of the water there's a lot of blood surrounding him. Paul immediately gives the international dive sign for someone in trouble to his brother Philip (who is still in the water). At this point Jason is blacked out but he can hear Philip calling him to swim over. He makes his way over some how by listening to his voice and then together they decide to head to the beach about a mile away.
Meanwhile Paul has gone to call for help on Philip's cellphone the display was showing only 1 bar on available coverage. He manages to place a call to 911 but unfortunately the call taker insists he give his cellphone no. which he doesn't know 'cause it was his brothers. When he finally finds the number the battery dies. So he runs to the nearest house and explains the situation to a guy there who calls on his behalf.
In the water, Jason and Philip are still in the water trying to stay afloat the sea is rough and the waves are crashing over them. Jason can't extend his arms much and is trying hard to stay afloat. He takes off his shoes, socks and T-shirt and starts concentrating on breathing and staying alive. Jason is lapsing in and out of consciousness and swears he saw birds circling over head and he thought maybe the birds mistook him for a small island on which they could nest on. There was also the thought of a shark attack as Jason was still bleeding profusely from his head and still a mile away from finding a place they could safely climb ashore to without getting pummelled into the rocks.
Meanwhile back on shore a police car had come out and a small crowd had gathered to see if they could spot them out at sea, which they couldn't.
The Coastguards arrive about 40 mins after the call was placed, by this time Philip has easily spent over an hour in the water and Jason just about an hour. The Coastguards are based in Pago Pago harbour which is quite a distance from Vaitogi.
Back on shore apparently some of the crowd saw the search and rescue arrive but didn't see them haul anyone on to the boat so they presumed Jason and Philip were still missing, which is when I got my initial phone call.
I'm thankful that there were no tragedies. I'm sure they all have a new found respect for the sea and a greater appreciation for dry land.


7 comments:
I think it's an improvement. No?
If the AmSam team hadn't already departed for the South Pacific Games, I'd push for Jason to enter the 400 yard, one-legged, blindfolded, swim. Maybe next year. ;)
We're glad to see that Jason is going to be all right. I hate to say it, but this gives a whole new meaning to the name of your blog!
Hey Uncle jason hope your feeling better. Mum said you should be honest and say that you had an Extreme make over....hahaha. look forward to the unveiling :-)
Nice to see you are looking in tip-top condition Uncle Jason. Pity you couldn't have managed a smile for the camera.
We are feeling your pain.
Thomas's off the Rock should've been the name of this blog for sure!
Yes the big reveal has shown a backwards Z graze on the forehead and a skinned nose and various bruises all over the body and no lipo! That plastic surgeon was a rip.
Day 5 and still needing lots of sleep to recover, that's me, not Jason hahaha.
z on forehead like harry potter? think voldermort won this round :)
We're glad he's safe. But beware Hurriane Jane. Jase' mate, sorry to tell you but you're getting old! ha ha. R & B.
Jonathan says: "Hello Noah." Amber says: "Hi Talia, are you having fun on your trampoline?"
Post a Comment