Uke Spooks
I originally picked up a ukulele to learn how to play Kookaburra for my class. I had fond memories from primary school of singing songs in the class while the teacher played her guitar. So here I thought that could be me (except I'd have a ukulele)! Unfortunately in my dreams I forgot it was in my dreams! So I conned the husband to teach me Kookaburra a two-chord song for the next day. I do believe some of the kids comments after my debut were:
Do you think we could get a professional to play it for us?
We can sing that song much better if you play to the beat?
I think we could play the ukulele better than you.
So there I was shamed out by my class you think I would've given up the instrument and yet I have done the opposite!
I am truly a beginner with no apparent musical gifts; and yet for some reason I have not biffed the whole instrument in a hissy fit and called it a day. Learning to play the ukulele for me is like rubbing your tummy and patting your head at the same time. I can only do one of those things really well - strum or find the chords ( I think I maybe a little too generous with myself there). I am constantly challenged and inspired by the husband, who is quite an accomplished player, it's helpful to have him because for the most part he is truthful and helpful, but you know we have issues.
We have been attending a ukulele club, once a fortnight for two hours we get to strum it out and sing hokey songs. I sit next to a couple of young guys from church who are really good, I think they're about 13 or 14 years old. What I can't believe about these guys is that they're learning odd songs from the 70's and 80's and they get it almost straight away. I thought I had an advantage in knowing the hokey songs, but after eight weeks and sporadic practise I only have one song down pat kind of, "Under the Boardwalk". The young guys tell me maybe I should choose another instrument. Maybe. For now despite ALL of that I am enjoying learning and trying something new.

1 comment:
Hee hee, Jane! The ukelele? No way!
Don't be put off by those young 'uns comments. The youth of today have no respect for the elderly, anyway! :-P
I think it's awesome that you're learning - you have just become my newest, bestest ukelele learningest person I know! (Try get THAT printed on a button!)
Brett's just picking up the guitar, so when you do get a gap to travel this side of the Greenwich Meridien, the two of you can jam - old style!
Luv and rhythm
Jess
(PS - Jason is a show-off for playing ukelele behind his head!)
Post a Comment