Flag Day Fautasi Race
Matasaua from the island of Manu'a
Satani I from Nu'uuli Village
The fautasi race was advertised to start at 8am, in previous years they've started at 6.30am but they felt it was too dark and some boats collided last year trying to get out to the start line. This year it was a 7 mile race from the sea back into the harbour, 30 men aged from teens to some in there 50's paddling for the pride of their village. Lots of them had been training for weeks getting up early to do exercise and some teams even held camps for 2 weeks leading up to the race where they just got to eat, sleep, go to work and train.
So the race started at 7.30am, I was half way to Pago Pago and by the time I arrived I got to see these 2 losing boats going back to the boatshed. See, not everything runs on "island time".


No comments:
Post a Comment